Music curriculum for 1st year to 6th year students.
Alankaar: It is the most basic thing to start with. It will contain different kinds of patterns of swara which will help in building voice structure and smoothens the quality of voice. E.g:- sa re ga ma pa dha ni ` ni dha pa ma ga re sa, ni dha pa ma ga re sa. Note:- The patterns will turn difficult rather as per practice.
Raaga prescribed for Praveshika students (this is also called the entrance) -
● Alhaiya Bilawal ● Yaman ● Khanak ● Bhoopali
Along with each raga all chota khayal and small taanas with each raga.
Taalas to be taught:-
● Dadara ● Keherwa
Along with giving claps and showing blanks of the taal on hand, some knowledge of singing vikrit swaras in alankara as well shall be taught.
Viva course:- Definition and knowledge about:-
● Dhwani ● Naad ● Swara ● Chal-swara ● Shuddh swara ● Vikrit swara ● Aaroh ● Avroh ● Vaadi ● Samvadi ● Laya ● Matra ● Taali, Sam and aavartann.
1st year (Prathma)
● Kaafi ● Bihaag ● Bhairav ● Alahiya bilwal ● Yaman ● Khamaaj
Sing chota khayal and taana (5-6)
● Teentaal ● Chartaal ● Dadra ● Keherwa
Present also in 2guna. Identification of Raaga through its main ang(part)
- Varn, Saptak, thaat, raag jati, palta, Alaap, taan, sargaram, khayal, stathai, antara, khaali
theka, avartaan, thaa and 2guna.
- Writing the notation of Raaga.
- Brief description about lifestyle of either Vishnu digambar pulaskar or pt. Bhatkhande.
2nd year:- (Junior diploma)
● Bageshree ● Durga ● Asavari ● Bhairavi ● Vrindavan sarang ● Bhimpalasi ● Desh
Presentation in madhyalaya.
Vilambit khyaal raagas:-
● Yaman ● Bihaag ● Alahiya Bilawal
Along with swara vistaar.
● Ektaal ● Rupak ● Tilwada ● Jhaptaal ● Sultaal
Present in 4guna along with bol and presentation on hands.
- Identification of difference between similar ragas
- Introduction on the musical life of tansen and ameer khusroo.
- Development in the swara, singing in all 3 octaves along with shuddha and vikrit. To
identify and sing difficult combination of swaras.
- To show kann and khatka in singing
Raaga prescribed -
● Tilak-kamod ● Harmeer ● Kedar ● Tilang ● Kalingada ● Pardeep ● Jaunpuri ● Malkauns ● Pilu.
- Present in chota khyala along with tabla on taal with Alaap and taan.
- Present vilambit khayal in last year Raaga along with Alaap and bol taan.
- Dhrupad performance in two Raaga along with 2guna, 3guna and 4guna of dhamar.
- Complete understanding in identifying Raaga.
● Raaga identification
● Difference between Shruti and naad
● Venkatmakhi's melakarta and thaat of South indian classical music.
● Types of geet( semi classical music)
● Description on the life of sharangdev and Swami Haridas.
4th year (Senior diploma)
● Special knowledge of swara
● Identification of difficult swara combination
● Difficult and beautiful presentation of taana
● Deshkar ● Shankara ● Jayajaywanti ● Kamod ● Marwa ● Multani ● Sohni ● Bahar ● Poorvi
- Sing in vilambit, madhyalay and drut laya.
- Perform drupad in any one of the two.
- General knowledge of singing of tappa and khayal.
- Show same differences in the Raaga by singing it.
Types of geet –
- Detail introduction of tappa , thumari, tarana, tirvat, chaturang, bhajan, ghazal etc.
- Classification of all above through Raaga-ragini system and modern Alaap singing system
- Use of vivaadi swara
- Ancient type of nibash gaan, dhaatu and anibaddh gaan
- Introduction on the life of bharat, ahobal, venkatmakhi and maansen.
● Laykaari ● Nom Tom Alaap
● Puriya ● Gaud malhaar ● Chayanat ● Shree ● Hindol ● Gaud sarang ● Vibhaas ● Darbari kannada ● Todi ● Adana
Sing vilambit, madhyalay and drut in all
● Pancham sawari ● Gajjhaptaal ● Addha ● Matt ● Punjabi taal
- Types of anibaddh gaana
- Shruti swara vibaajan
- Musical identification of shreenivas, raamatya, hridaya narayan Deb , md raza, sadarang-adarang.
6th year (prabhakar)
Singing thumari, tappa, tirvat, and chaturang.
● Ramkali ● Miya malhaar ● Paraj ● Basant ● Shree ● Puriya ● Dhanashree ● Lalit ● Shuddh kalyan ● Desi ● Maalgunj
One chota khayal, bada khayal and drut.
Performance of thumari in raagas:-
● Bhairavi ● Pilu ● Kaafi ● Pahadi ● Jhinjhoti
● Bhramhataal ● Laxmitaal ● Rudrataal
- Write about Indian classical music.
- Life introduction of hassu hadu Khan, faiyaaz Khan, Abdul Kareem kha, bade Ghulam Ali and onkarnath thakur
- Medical and modern music
- Knowledge of scale of tanpura
- Comparison, faults and development of bhatkhande and Vishnu digambar swara-lipi system